* Welcome to the jungle *

As we sat on the drench, old, patterned cheap vinyl couch right under the overused sound system which was dreadfully screeching nonsensical and vulgar music, my senses were totally numbed – purposefully I should note – by an undetermined number of what was probably the lowest quality of Russian vodka. In my red dress and high heels, I sat, with utter composure and a hint of boredom in my eyes; I sat and observed.

From our pedestal, it felt as though we were unconcerned with the frenzy that had taken over the crowd as they tirelessly made awkward and brusque movements of the limbs and adorned to this social opium they call dancing.

We watched, and I let my mind wander into a forest of words and ideas, trying to mentally write a text describing the scene and connecting it to what now seems to me a distant and unreachable philosophy.

As an observer, I was external to the chaos that was revealing the most futile and banal side of mankind and I thought, it was also the most primal form of human interaction. As the sound of the drums beat in my heart and the alcohol swayed my thoughts away from the moment, the realization was inevitable: humanity had evolved into a disguised form of animal, thriving to walk as far away as possible from their origin and nature and to distinguish themselves from primates; hiding from the truth and relentlessly covering it up with makeup, clothes and an appearance of civility which they rejoiced in calling “the specificity of humanity” 

… however it was all clear to me now, in this unexpected place and under the effect of liquor: we were in a jungle.

A disguised, altered jungle; but nonetheless one that is ruled by laws as primal and grotesque as they come.

And I sharpened yet again my profound and irreconcilable despise of the human species as a whole. I knew that Man was capable of great things, of creating undeniable architectural beauty, of coming up with untimely thoughts and wisdom, and even of moments when one would feel a deep pride running all the way down the spine and in the guts, a pride to be Human; however I often questioned whether these exceptional great emanations were exactly that: rare and the product of a fast gone momentum of grandeur. 

Whereas, the obvious and undeteriorating character of humanity was observable at any time, all the time and everywhere on earth. The weak, flawed, primitive and material man driven by passions and an ultimate desire to survive regardless of the means. A Man that thrives in opulence, dirt, grossierety and falls willingly into excessive decadence. A Man capable of resorting to the most vile and petty ways to destroy his kin. A Man who refuses to understand that he will never grasp and truly comprehend the world he lives in. A Man who willfully annihilates the grand things his fellow humans have produced and with immoral wishes undo wise advancement.

A Man that moves with complete ease from grandeur to decadence.  

Comments

Popular Posts